This study examines the predictive validity of the ASAM PPC-2R utilized within the state of Florida for the placement of substance abuse clients receiving treatment.
Archival data collected by the Florida Department of Children and Families Substance Abuse Program Office from state fiscal years 1999 to 2001 of 458 clients were used in this study. The study sample of 458 was drastically reduced to 49 clients due to data collection inconsistencies of the state. Two Institutional Review Boards (IRBs) approvals were required to conduct this study. In addition to the educational institution, the second approval was needed because of the data source—the state government. The second IRB approval from the Florida State Department of Health contributed to collapsing the original sample size and restricting the use of demographic information, such as ethnicity, drug used, gender, age or race.
The study proposed three hypotheses relating to treatment completion, readmission rates and time between treatment completion and readmission. The treatment completion rates were compared for clients placed in treatment in consistent with the ASAM recommended level of care, against those clients placed in treatment not consistent with the ASAM recommended level of care. Chi-square and the Yates Correction for Continuity were calculated for the first two hypotheses. The null hypothesis was rejected for the first hypothesis at the 0.05 level with the original Chi-square calculation and at the higher 0.10 with Yates’ Correction for Continuity. The results of the two Chi-square calculations for the second hypothesis rejected the null hypothesis at the 0.05 level.
The readmission rates were also compared for clients placed in treatment in consistent with the ASAM recommended level of care, against those clients placed in treatment not consistent with the ASAM recommended level of care. Twelve percent of the clients were readmitted to treatment, but all had been initially assigned to treatment that was not consistent with the ASAM recommended level of care. Without a comparison group, the length of time between treatment completion and readmission was not examined.
In review of the overall assignment of care, Outpatient treatment was the most frequently assigned level of care. Of the 49 clients in this study, 80% (39) were assigned to Outpatient treatment. Of this total, 36% were assigned to Outpatient consistent with the ASAM recommendations. The remaining 64% were assigned to Outpatient treatment, inconsistent with the ASAM recommendation.
|School:||The Florida State University|
|School Location:||United States -- Florida|
|Source:||DAI-A 69/07, Dissertation Abstracts International|
|Keywords:||ASAM, American Society of Addiction Medicine, Florida, Placement, Predictive validity, Substance abuse|
Copyright in each Dissertation and Thesis is retained by the author. All Rights Reserved
The supplemental file or files you are about to download were provided to ProQuest by the author as part of a
dissertation or thesis. The supplemental files are provided "AS IS" without warranty. ProQuest is not responsible for the
content, format or impact on the supplemental file(s) on our system. in some cases, the file type may be unknown or
may be a .exe file. We recommend caution as you open such files.
Copyright of the original materials contained in the supplemental file is retained by the author and your access to the
supplemental files is subject to the ProQuest Terms and Conditions of use.
Depending on the size of the file(s) you are downloading, the system may take some time to download them. Please be